Pop the Prosecco

From the history to how to serve this sparkling wine

From the LifeMinute.TV Team

August 13, 2021

August 13th marks National Prosecco Day. But there’s a lot you don’t know about the bubbly wine. Here’s a look at the history of this sparkling spirit and other interesting info.

The history: Prosecco dates all the way back to Roman times. The Glera grape, which grew well in the Prosecco region and became the basis for Prosecco, was grown in Ancient Rome.

Grapes used to make Prosecco: Prosecco must be made with at least 85% Glera grapes for it to be labeled Prosecco. The other 15% can be made with a blend of of Verdiso, Bianchetta Trevigiana, Perera, Glera lunga, Chardonnay, Pinot Bianco, Pinot Grigio and Pinot Noir grapes.

Be careful when popping it: A cork can reach up to around 25 MPH when flying off a bottle.

The best glass to serve it in: A tulip glass is the best to toast Prosecco in. The glass height and slenderness help preserve the bubbles, and the bulb at the top collects more of the floral aromas coming from the wine.

How many calories: A standard glass of Prosecco has around 121 calories.

Linked to improving blood pressure: A 2009 study from the University of Reading suggests that two glasses of sparkling wine a day may be good for your heart and circulation.

Enjoy it young: Unlike other wines, prosecco doesn't ferment in the bottle, so it is best to enjoy it young.

Prosecco isn’t always bubbly: There are two levels of bubbles you can get prosecco in; the most bubbly, Spumante, the second-most, Frizzante. Prosecco without bubbles, a still wine, is known as Tranquillo.

Prosecco is popular: Prosecco is preferred more than champagne. It has become the best-selling sparkling wine by volume in the United States.

320 480 600 768 800 1024 1500 1920 Facebook Twitter Feed Instagram Email